Monday, June 01, 2009

The ten outfit solution

Much as I love rediscovering all my summer clothes I find myself unable to make my mind up what to wear. I stand by the wardrobe filled with indecision. Should I wear this? Should I pair it with that? Should I save it for later in the week when the weather might be chillier? This is not good on weekdays when I (a) on a tight schedule with no time to day dream/experiment and (b) I’m not that great first thing in the morning so it’s easy to pick an outfit that just doesn’t work.

My solution is a list of ten outfits. I used to have a job with a very long commute and a fairly formal dress code. I had a set of five outfits that I rotated because it meant that I didn’t have to think in the morning. I just checked what day it was and pulled on the designated clothing. I’ve upped this to five outfits for a number of reasons.

Firstly my work is much more variable these days and I want enough different options to be able to accommodate various levels of meeting, contact with the public and days doing desk work. Secondly I don’t want to be worrying if I get behind on the washing. Ten outfits allows me two weeks of rotations including a few warming outfits should the Great British Summer turn out to be less warm than one might hope for. Finally I want some variety. I have some excellent clothes and I want to enjoy wearing them. I love the concept of a summer uniform but I’ve spent years doing that with linen skirts and fitted white t shirts.

Weekends I’m assuming that I’ll either have time to experiment with new combinations or I’ll fall on a default outfit of shorts and vest top.

Let’s see how the organisation of summer wardrobe works out and if it leads to a more organised and merrier me! Maybe I can get organised enought to photograph said outfits over the course of a few weeks.

No comments: