Monday, June 15, 2009

The average temperature

I smugly planned my summer wardrobe based on hearing that temperatures would be ‘higher than average’ this year. Oh good I though assuming that a knee length skirt, t and flip flop type sandals would cover me for the gloriously sunny days that were clearly ahead.

Then I had a look at the Met Office website. It occurred to me, you see, that my idea of average temperature and theirs may differ a little. And I was right. Alas the average summer temperature in the UK is 14.1C. Check it out for yourself on the Met Office summer forecast page

So time to re-jig my thinking a bit. I don’t fancy cold legs all summer long. Definitely don’t want to be in tights even if they are flesh/black/brightly coloured. I’m not certain about the leggings under a dress look. Partly because I’m not certain about the sort of shoes that go and partly because I’m just not sure about the look generally.

So jeans are back in worn under summer dresses. Shrug type cardigans are my new favourite thing for topping the dresses. I’ll have a handy big bag with me and if it get warm the jeans can come off.

Shoe wise I have decided that I no longer want wear shoes that carve my feet up and make them sore. So I’m putting shoes that hurt in the charity shop bag or shoe bin. I’ve bought a pair of wedge from Oxfam. These are not only comfortable but keep the hems of my jeans high enough off the ground that they don’t drag in puddles.

I like the idea of summer as much as anyone but one must be realistic about these things. Which makes me think – why are all the glossy magazines selling the fantasy of summer when they could be explaining how to wear skimpy summer wear when it’s 14C?

No comments: