Monday, June 22, 2009

Free pressure

A while back I signed up for a free session of Acupressure. I’ve had various back and neck massage before (and have my next one scheduled for Friday) but acupressure always sounded a bit too medical.

However not being one to look a gift horse in the month I booked the session. Then I was emailed a health check questionnaire to fill in. No problem with that until I was asked what I intended to get out of the session. I was straight over to Google to find out what the benefits of this treatment actually were.

Various sites suggest that it both relaxes and energises. Massage usually leaves me feeling a bit dopey so I headed off to last Friday’s session to see what it was like.

First of all you are fully dressed and kneel on a stool which supports your face and arms. The process of the treatment itself goes between really relaxing and almost painful. I’m not entirely certain what part of her body (the elbow maybe?) the very sweet therapist was pushing into my back but it did indeed feel (her words) a bit tender.

Work on the arms and hands by contrast almost had me dozing off. I came to thinking that I’d dropped a plectrum!

There was a definite result by the end of the session. A sensation of water running down my arms which mean that something had been unblocked.

And the after effects?

Well I wasn’t quite as sleepy as after massage but probably should have gone to bed early on Friday night instead of trying to stay awake and being grumpy.

Saturday my back ached, presumably because the muscles that had been clenched in place had relaxed and some other muscle was now having to work. I also felt tense. Watching a couple of horror movies was a strain.

Sunday I felt great. Very relaxed. No aches. Quietly energetic. I didn’t go to bed particularly early and I slept fitfully but woke up this morning feeling refreshed and ready to face the week.

Relaxation seems hazardous but that probably because I’m not used to it.

No comments: