Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zevon and Zwan

No it’s not a new comedy duo or an exciting brand of mineral make-up. This was the second week of my attempts to broaden my musical knowledge and horizons. I listened to Warren Zevon’s I’ll sleep when I’m dead. It appears to be a great hits compilation, which makes the fact that I’ve never heard of him rather worrying. The song that really stood out for me was ‘Mr Bad Example’. Lyrics are a very important part of music for me even if I’m groaning at how bad they are.

I also took in Zwam’s Mary Star of the Sea. I enjoyed this and may well borrow it again at some point.

So I won't be making any additions to my iPod this week. I’ve now listened to 2 artists beginning with A and 2 beginning with Z. So it’s back to B. There seem to be loads of groups who have a name beginning with B. I could easily spend several weeks here exploring groups that I’ve heard of but don’t know anything by.

Dear Heart and I were discussing the other night how limited our knowledge of David Bowie is. We can give general facts (mismatched eyes, married to a model) and have a passing knowledge of his best-known songs but that’s it. So this week I’ve got a load of Bowie albums to listen to and I will be looking him up in some reference sources to try figure out what all this thin white duke/ziggy stardust stuff is about. If nothing else it will improve my performance at music quizzes!

No comments: