Thursday, July 24, 2008

Raspberry juice

It's amazing how a small quantity of something can go such a long way.

It's my turn this week to prepare the food for our Thursday lunch group. I'd been thinking about various things to serve and it definitely seemed to be the time of year to go with fresh fruit for dessert. Rather annoyingly the market seemed to be full of peaches, apricots and nectarines imported from all over the world and a real lack of English fruits. Anyway I needed to make up my mind so I grabbed a pineapple and a couple of punnets of raspberries. Then like a complete fool I put them both into the same cotton should back and headed off with the bag thumping against me with every step I took. And, of course, the raspberries were between me and the pineapple. I only realised when the bag had a big circle of pulped raspberry on it and so did my dress.

I took the raspberries out and re-wrapped (the remains of) their paper bag around them and put them in my other bag. I put them right on top so that they wouldn't get crushed any more. Then when I got to my destination and had a chance to reorganise my bags I moved them to the bottom of my shoulder bag. This was the one that came with Easy Living magazine and the fabric seems to be quite waterproof.

So I got home to discover a puddle of juice at the bottom of my bag. Everything in the bag was marked by raspberries juice in some way.

I'm looking on the bright side here. I gave everything in my bag a wipe over and it all looks much brighter. I also had to wash my cotton bags that I use all the time. In all honestly they could probably do with washing at least once a fortnight. The marvellous weather means that they'll be dry in no time. So everyone's a winner in this apart from the poor raspberries. Maybe it's time to start growing my own?

No comments: