Monday, July 14, 2008

When London is feeling lovely

I had to go into London on Friday for a meeting. I wouldn't say I dislike London, but I often find it hard work. It's noisy, polluted and full of people! However, on Friday, London was at her most charming.

The trains were all running well. I kept getting a book out to read on the tube and discovering that I had already reached my stop. The shops were vibrant and full of exciting things to look at (if not actually buy). I ventured into Zavvi on Oxford Street and wanted to stay all day to listen to the amazing music they were playing. I finally made it to the Japanese Centre on Piccadilly.

I was sensible and wore flat shoes all day, but I had a pair of heels tucked in my handbag for my evening excursion - a visit to the Japanese Embassy. My grandfather was a Japanese Prisoner of War during WW2 and became involved in a reconciliation programme. This also provided opportunities for grandchildren to work towards reconciliation and friendship. A reception is held every summer to promote friendship between our two countries. As ever I had a marvellous evening. I spoke to a number of interesting people, got to admire the decor and drink champagne.

Everything ran smoothly on the way home and by 10 p.m. I was eating chips on the sofa with Dear Heart.

However I'm very glad that I don't have to travel into London everyday. It is so easy when working in the big city to think that everyone else is having a more fabulous, cooler time than you are. So instead of enjoying what you have you are always searching for the elusive 'cool' people and the centre of the action.

I'm glad that I rediscovered London in small way. Maybe I'll do some museum (and pub) visits over the summer with Dear Heart.

No comments: