Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Learning to play drums

Dear Heart plays guitar and has done so for many years. He's also very into home recording, writing songs and so on. He sounds good when he plays, like the spirit of the music is into him.

I did not do well with recorder at school. I took up a violin for a few months until the school suggested that my 'talents' might be better occupied elsewhere. And really this has been fine. I've accepted the 'not a musical bone in her body' label quite well. Yes, it would be nice to do karaoke that sounded ok, but singing in the shower is fine for me.

Dear Heart purchased a drum kit a few months ago and is already pretty good. Years of playing various bands has clearly paid off. The thing is I've always fancied learning to play the drums. So I've got a book on learning drums from the library and had a go last night. It was good fun and I wasn't even doing anything fancy.

I'm thinking 10 minutes a day. I don't have to be amazing but it would be really nice to be able to knock out a beat and play along with Dear Heart. I'm a little scared that I won't be able to do it but that's what life's for. Being scared and then trying and if you fall picking yourself up and keeping trying until either it works or you really cannot justify going any further. I commit to trying and learning something new no matter how small my learning my turn out to be.

No comments: