Thursday, July 17, 2008

A change of clothing

At reported at the start of the week, I just don't want to wear any of my usual summer stuff. I'm bored of my uniform of linen skirts and tshirts. My DM sandals need repairing. I just don't feel inspired in what I've been wearing. I also feel very middle aged (although I'm sure this is just my perception).

I used (until about 7 years ago) to wear lots of black. I think this was a reaction to the colour clashing 1980s. However I also realised that I wore black when I wanted to feel invisible. So I made a real effort not to wear black all the time and to let some colour into my life. Which has been great. But I'm wondering if I can now trust myself to wear dark colours again. A sign of maturity and reflection that life has it's ups and downs maybe? Or just accepting that recession is on it's way in and the future could be dark...

Anyway I allowed myself not to make too much of an effort yesterday and wear whatever I felt like to work and I ended up in something pretty much like the image below.



The only major differences are that my tshirt said Alice Cooper, my shoes are sparkly and my bag is my fabulous (yet ancient) Wonderbag. I felt very comfortable and oddly energised and me. In fact I think that I might be wearing skirts a bit less for a while and giving my jeans more of an airing.

I have an on/off relationship with jeans. I wore them as a teen, but preferred jogging trousers as I did a lot of sport. Then I went off to university with two pairs of Wranger body glove (they did exactly what they said on the tin). Then I decided that jeans were not for me and started wearing a uniform of black leggings (matt or shiny), tshirt and green DMs. I didn't get back into wearing jeans until about 5 years later I visited the Easy store at an outlet village somewhere, tried on one of the sample pairs and begged to be allowed to keep them. I have worn jeans since then but it's always been a real labour to try and find a pair that fit. I'm seeing this latest development as another 'jeans are good' phase.

I'm also betting that I'll fall madly in love again with my skirts and dresses at some point in the next few years.

No comments: