Thursday, July 03, 2008

Petticoats

I've never been able to see the point in slips and petticoats (unless it's some kind of underwear as outerwear look). However today I am wearing dress with a quite full knee length skirt. It's made of a light cotton. Add in strong breeze and I find that I having to walk down the street with bunches of skirt in each hand to avoid revealing my underwear to. This is not a good look. Presumably this is part of the reason (other than making the skirt look really full) that women in the past wore petticoats.

Sadly this interpretation is not mentioned in the wikipedia entry about petticoats. I do actually own 2 knee length petticoats. My sister and I used them for dressing up when we we younger. I recently redid the elastic in them with thoughts of wearing them to a rock club or something. However, I thinking that perhaps the time has come to dig them out and put them to their proper use of protecting my modesty (while making my waist look teeny). It seems pointless having garments tucked away in tin trunk if I never take them out and wear them.

I'm feeling a bit uncertain about my usual summer uniform of linen skirt and tshirt. I want a change. And the only person who can make a change in my life is me. If I can't change my clothing a little with the resources I already have then how can I change anything else? Remember your life is the life you chose (and I mean that in the most positive way possible). Stop wriggling and start living.

No comments: