Monday, March 09, 2009

For my next trick I will change a pair of trousers into a dress

Stomp, stomp, think, think
One of the advantages of the training I am currently doing in preparation for the Moonwalk marathon in May is plenty of time to think. Saturday morning’s ten miles was spent thinking mainly about my new sewing projects. Hence on my return I was all ready to get started.

I had three pairs of grey trousers that had worn away in various places. My usual thoughts would be to turn these into long skirts but I was in the mood for something different. Two of the pairs were a light summer fabric and I’ve gotten a little tired of my usual summer uniform of long linen skirt, t shirt and cardigan or light jacket. Instead I plan to turn all three pairs into dresses.

The first pair are a heavy flannel fabric that I made myself. The great thing about these is that they had no real waist band; the top had just been turned over and hemmed. I ripped the inner leg seams, took out the side zip and ripped a similar gap in the other side seam. Then on my mannequin I pinned the sides of waist band together on each shoulder and pinned the inner leg seams back together. A quick stitch across the shoulders and down the back and front and I was pretty much done. The only other thing was to create a v shaped neck by ripping out part of the seam running down the front and folding it back on either side. I ran up a simple tie belt with some spare fabric to give the thing some shape. Next time I really must take some photographs to illustrate my efforts.

I’m now working on a pair of dark grey linen/cotton trousers with an unusual weave. I paid a pittance for these on New Look some years back not realising a0 the waist is strangely high and b) the fabric is very delicate. They have a really wide waist band. I removed this and am thinking of simply hemming the bottom of it and using it as a belt. The remaining fabric will probably get a similar treatment to the first pair of trousers.

This might have to go on hold for while though as I need to make a costume for a Mods and Rockers party in a few weeks. I’m a bit uncertain about what to wear. I think that as I tend towards a casual (OK scruffy) look that rocker would be better, but my Internet research seems to suggest that female rockers simply didn’t exist! I do have an old black cotton mini dress (I’m assuming it was intended as a dress although I tend to wear it as a top) that I could extend to make it slightly decent, but I’m not sure about shoes…

Any suggestions are very, very welcome.

No comments: