Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I owe it all to my sister and my iPod

Saturday night and the first half a dozen hours of Sunday morning I was walking around London in a decorated bra completing a marathon. I made it round in about 6 hours and 40 minutes.

I was rather pleased with this. this is the fourth time I've done the Moonwalk and I've tried to learn from my experience each time. I really worked hard at my training. I stayed sober on Friday nights and got up early to train on Saturdays. I planned routes, kept going when it rained and braved dozens of scary dogs who wanted to chase me.

Two things really got me through though. One was my sister. She's so much more athletic than I am but she stayed with me and made me keep going and keep the pace up even when I could have slowed. She made me eat sugar when I crashed after finishing.

The other was my iPod. I always find the last four miles really hard, slow and painful. I made a play list of upbeat rock to get em through this and it worked. As Motley Crue's Piece of your action flooded my brain I speeded up and was able to ignore the little aches and pains until they went away.

I would like to publicly declare that I will never be doing such an event again. Four times is plenty. There are lots of new things I could be trying rather than putting myself through this again. I'm looking forward to having Saturdays back for sewing and being creative. I'm also liking the thought of not having to work out what I'm wearing two days in advance so that I can take the clothes to work.

This feels like a new lease of life.

No comments: