Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A patchwork mind

I’ve got all kinds of things going on in my head at present. I’m still finishing the ‘wrapping’ of my Christmas gifts. I’m experimenting with a new design for the drawstring bags that I put gifts in. I’m also trying out an idea about making fabric gift wrap. Hence my study is littered with bits of ribbon and fabric, buttons, beads, sequins and other frippery for decoration. I kept re-arranging it all in boxes or shoving it into cupboards in an effort to keep things tidy and under control.

I think the biggest issue is all the small bits of left over fabric from various projects. Those pieces that are too small to throw but not big enough to do stuff with fill several bags. Sure some of them do for decorating other things. But the quantity is only going to increase with every new project. I’ve begun thinking about patchwork. I’ve done a very small amount of research and discovered that fitting together small randomly shaped pieces is called ‘crazy patchwork’.

I reckon that I have easily enough for a quilt. This would please Dear Heart, who seems like that kind of thing and comes from a family who seem to feel the cold. So I guess that will be one of my 2009 project. Apart from anything else the idea of having some space in my fabric cover really appeals.

Then I’m trying to work out what to wear to a dinner/dance thing the Saturday before Christmas. Dear Heart surprised me on Sunday by showing me an article on Party frocks and suggesting that numbers 1, 6 or 7 would be right for me. I’m thinking of wearing the silver sequined dress that I bought last year. I wore it at new year, but it certainly needs another outing. I just need to decide what to wear it with.

Also there’s birthday presents to sort out, a date for Christmas decorating to schedule and Dear Heart making some kind of final decision over where we are actually going to spend Christmas. Will it snow? How many boxes of frozen party snacks do we need to survive the festive season?

I think I need to chill out a bit. Maybe listen to some festive songs while sitting by the fire.

No comments: