Monday, December 01, 2008

Back to the plot

With my novel completed I’d thought that December would be an easy ride with evenings of putting my feet up and reading with a cup of tea/glass of wine.

However, when I began to idly compile a job list I was amazed by how many things were on it that need to be done in the next two weeks or sooner.

The challenge of writing set number of words everyday didn’t seem that tough at the time. It was just a case of plugging away. I do think though that as the month went on while the writing got easier in some ways, it got more difficult in others. There were plot lines and character names to keep track of. During the final week I knew what I needed to cover to get to the end and found myself trying to pace the action to be covered in the remaining words.

Although it feels strange not to write, I won’t miss waiting for my laptop to boot up and trying to write in between cooking dinner. Final Christmas gift prep, a mound of post, cheques to write and a round of family related stuff have moved to the very top of my list.

I’m trying to apply the main lesson of NaNoWriMo which is that you can get it done, whatever it is. You just need to break it into small portions, make sure you do a portion regularly and keep an eye on milestones and deadlines.

No comments: