Tuesday, December 02, 2008

It’s Neet

The December issue of N.E.E.T. magazine is online. I don’t buy magazine as a general rule. I subscribe to Easy Living which I’m uncertain about continuing with. When Easy Living first came out I think I probably was right in the middle of their target demographic. It felt like the whole thing had been written just for me. However I don’t always find that I relate quite so well these days. I loved the whole small change, big difference feel of the early issues. I liked the articles about things that I didn’t read elsewhere in glossy magazines like women who made their own clothes or talking about why they still had long/punk/green hair at seventy. There was less celebrity. Lots of articles offering life tips from real women who ran their own businesses. I still think about planning my clothes a week in advance if I know that I will be busy. Or I remember to take food (whoever it was described it as ‘a picnic’) so that I don’t have to eat a pre-packaged sandwich when I could be consuming something delicious.

The thing with Easy Living is that every time I decide that it is no longer for me an issue comes out that seems just right. Anyway I digress, back to NEET.

I think this was the first place I ever came across the phrase ‘upcycle’. This issue had a guide to 2009 – just the place to seek inspiration for what to do with what you’ve already got. I was surprised by the number of UK contributions. So many times I come across something cool and then discover that it’s all about the USA.

To my disgrace (or maybe not) I cannot recall what lead me to N.E.E.T. in the first place. Whoever wrote the blog that led me there – thank you. I shall just enjoy.

No comments: