Friday, July 10, 2009

The art of camouflage

We’re often told that people don’t really pay very much attention to us. They’re too busy thinking about themselves. Although we like the idea of this we tend to not believe it because if we did we’d have to admit that we’re not the centre of the universe.

This week has had some excellent examples of this.

First I managed to tuck my skirt into my knickers and then proceeded to walk around like this for abut three hours before anyone told me. This means that either they thought my skirt was supposed to look like that or they simply didn’t notice me or my skirt.

Yesterday I wore my very bright neon ballet pumps to the office. I thought they stood out and actually began to think what I might say if anyone commented on their vividness. Not a single soul commented all day.

Today a friend came in and asked if I was wearing the shoes as she had read about them on my blog. A few other colleages then passed comment. But they had all been here yesterday and hadn’t even noticed.

I then read Doe Deer’s Blogazine where she tackles the issue of people being treated negatively or even physically attacked because they dress in a way that is not perceived to be the ‘norm’.

It’s clear that there are some people out there paying very careful attention.

I don’t like the thought of being invisible or of being attacked. It does make me think that people really do make up their minds within seconds of meeting you for the first time.

I’ve realised that I tend to play down bright and more eccentric elements when I first start a job or meet people. Then I decide how much of me to let out. It makes me sad to realise I do this and I suppose it’s a survival technique learnt at school.

I know did this last week. I can feel myself leaning towards doing the same thing at the UK Lady bloggers meet up. I’m thinking about what they will wear and how I can fit in.

Maybe I need to work at being me a bit harder and spend less time on camouflage.

As a further morsel of food for thought there’s been some discussion on Academichic recently about who you dress for, if you dress as the real you and whether the way you dress has an impact on how people treat you.

1 comment:

Flossy said...

I think we all censor ourselves to some degree. Shame, and I think if we all let our weird and wonderful sides out on frst meetings we would end up with friends that understand and accept us for who we are! :)