Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Parsnips

Saturday morning I was wandering back form my usual walk via the deli, butchers and other purveyors of goodies on my High Street, when something caught my eye. Right next to the butchers was a rather charming looking young man selling even more charming looking bags of locally grown veg. After due consideration (so a good five seconds then) I handed over some cash and trotted off with one of their extremely heavy small bags.

It contained a couple of onions, a cabbage, some garlic and loads of carrots and parsnips. And I do mean a positive abundance of the things. The carrots I will be able to deal with fine. For starters, Dear Heart will eat them so I won’t have to sneak them into things (like I did with Parsnips for Sunday’s soup). The parsnips do present more of a challenge. I’m thinking I can make a cabbage, carrot and parsnip coleslaw, but I get a bit stuck after that.

I really want to find things to do with them that will work well for lunch (so they need to be edible cold or reheat well). I’ve tried roast parsnips in the past but I find them a bit sweet when cold.

So why you are asking am I lumbering myself with Parsnips when I don’t know what to do with them. Well, I firmly believe that I can grow to love the taste of all vegetables. If you don’t force yourself to try new things you will never acquire a taste for them. I want to be able to look forward to every single vegetable coming into season because I will know recipes that I love for all of them.

So Dear Readers, any hints on vegan parsnip delights?

No comments: