Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NaNoWriMo

As a child I wrote stories all the time or made up scenarios and got my toys to act them out. As teenager I wrote the opening pages of a hundred novels that never got any further. I wrote poetry full of teen angst. I wrote stories at school. I did a creative writing course during sixth form. I wrote an excellent short story for A Level English Language which scored an A and then…

Nothing. Maybe the odd poem here and there. Factual diary entries. Reports and press releases for work. No fiction though. Occasionally the idea for a story would occur to me and I’d think about it but I never even got as far as putting pen to paper.

This summer I began writing fiction again. It’s almost as if suddenly I’ve got things to write about. Like I opened up the stories floating around in the ether and they came running back to me. I don’t know if writing a blog has helped. Maybe. Maybe not.

I’ve got few things I’m working on. But those are going to be put aside during November. I have signed up for National Novel Writing Month. Between 1-30 November I will attempt to write a 50000 novel. Quantity is apparently more important than quality so I’m looking forward to seeing what forced creativity can do.

P.S. I’m really doing it so I can have one of those cute widgets on my blog letting everyone know how much I’ve churned out.

No comments: