Monday, October 20, 2008

Don’t take this the wrong way…

I usually spend a couple of hours over the weekend working on my allotment. I’m not the world’s greatest gardener, but I’m trying and I’ve learnt so much in the five years that I’ve had my plot. During the early years my crops were pretty much non existent. I was also obsessed with clearing weeds. I’ve chilled out and learnt and now I actually manage to produce some vegetables to supplement our diet. I‘ve also realised that a spotlessly neat patch is not necessarily a productive one.

I find a few hours of digging and weeding rather relaxing and peaceful, although there’s no getting round it being hard work. Yesterday I’d done an hour or so of digging and was picking some beans when a man appeared on my plot!

Him: Can I have a word?
Me (thinking that’s he’s already had five and wondering who the hell he is): What’s up?
Him: Don’t take this the wrong way…
Me (thinking that I probably would be taking it the wrong way): yes…
Him: I’m happy to help out since you’re struggling with your plot. It’s too big for you.
Me: Well I did split it last year.
Him: I want more land to work on. There’s a waiting list. I could take part of your plot and keep it all neat and tidy for you.
Me: But I only split it last year
Him: I could help you. I could have part of the plot.
Me: Well I’ll give it some thought
Him: I want more land. It would help you out.
Me: As I said I’ll think about it.
Him: My plot is next to yours.

I found the experience rather invasive and intimidating. It’s also made me feel extremely insecure about my skills in plot maintenance and vegetable growing. It’s quite annoying to have these feeling bought up by someone who can’t even introduce themselves. He could just have said “Hello I’m Jenkins from plot 666 which is next yours. I see that a corner of your plot is not currently cultivated. Any chance I could use it?”

I fear that if he takes on part of my plot he’ll have the whole thing under his thumb in no time. It’s made me seriously consider whether I should continue to work my plot or if I should just offer it up to the waiting list (and some more deserving and hard working green fingered type). On the one hand I now feel like I’m under surveillance to make sure that I make maximum use of my plot and I don’t want to have to deal with any hassle. One the other hand I’ve had a very productive year and I want to continue to be able to enjoy a variety of home grown produce.

I did read somewhere today that we’re all getting more paranoid so maybe I’m blowing the whole thing out of proportion. I guess I’ll see how things go over the next few weeks…

No comments: