Saturday, June 21, 2008

the make-up diet

Yesterday I had an appointment at the Benefit counter in Boots. I was looking forward to half an hour of hearing about the latest products, oohing and aahing over colours and packaging and just generally feeling pampered. I've been watching my money with the thought of buying a few items.

Anyway I got there on time and both the assistants were engaged with other people. So I hung around and examined all the products. Then I examined the again. Both assistants were showing no sign of lifting their heads. So I wandered around a bit more. It was 20 minutes after my appointment was due to start by this point. I was feeling very self concious and thinking that even if they did finally acknowledge me I was going to be cutting things a bit fine to make my bus. So I left.

And as I walked away I felt a sense of relief and puzzlement. Why had buying expensive make-up been so important to me? I've got so much make-up and quite a bit of it is Benefit anyway. I really don't need anymore eyeshadow, foundation or lipstick. I wasn't going to be there to buy something I needed, I was there because I felt the need to find something to buy. So I decided no more make-up until I've used up what I have. If I want to be pampered I'll book in somewhere for a massage or a pedicure.

Here's to using what we have before buying more.

No comments: