Thursday, January 15, 2009

Things I Love Thursday

There seems to be a bit of a food theme this week

Dress forms – I absolutely adore the dress form Dear Heart bought me for Christmas. Saturday I decided to alter my ‘Crowning your beautiful life’ t-shirt. Normally this would take me several hours as I tried to pin the pin the fabric around my self, sewed it and then had to take the dart out and redo. Instead I did it in just over an hour and it looks great. It shows my figure off beautifully. Inspired I’ve started work on a shirt I usually save for funerals. It’s black and white strips with a raised flower pattern between the stripes. I bought it second hand years ago and realised the day after purchase that although it fit fine around the neck and shoulders, the waist had a really funny cut and it just looked awful on me. I’ve worn it hidden under a jacket at formal events ever since. Then I occurred to me that I could take out the current darts (which are in totally the wrong place) and redo them. I pinned the new darts last night while listening to some music. I am still astounded that I take stuff of the dress form and it fits right away. Still trying to decide what to call the form though…


Being sober – for the fourth year in a row I’m on the wagon for January. I’ve had different experiences in different years. Some years I’ve been full of beans. Others I’ve just wanted to sleep for the entire month. This year Sober January is proving to be an energy filled one. I’m enjoying everything so much, even sleeping. If fact I’m getting into activities so much that I don’t want to stop doing them to go onto the next thing.

Laptop lunches – I’ve filled my laptop lunchbox for eight days out of the last nine (I went out for lunch with friends on the ninth day). I am having such fun filling it up. It’s also helping me to ensure that my diet is balanced. I tend to get hung up on one or two food groups and neglect the other. I’m a buzz with ideas about what to fill it with over the next few weeks. Maybe I should post some pictures of my lunches…


Cooking – We cook dinner from scratch most nights. I have a selection of dishes that I cook time and again (although the recipes tend to evolve over time). Generally I find cooking enjoyable, but this week I’ve been really enjoying the process of food preparation. For example, I’ve been taking more care over cutting onions into small pieces (rather than into large chunks). The food has been turning out really well. I don’t know if it’s the break from routine over Christmas or what but I’m getting real kick. And I’ve got a mini exercise/yoga routine I work through in-between task or while water is boiling.

Satsumas – My local deli has 10 Satsumas for 79p and I found myself powerless to resist their bright orange colour. They are deliciously juicy, fit into my laptop lunchbox (cut into quarters) and taste amazing. Sunshine on the tongue. I consider these a one off treat which has made them even more special. I’m planning on buying English apples or pears to enjoy next week.

As ever thank to www.galadarling.com for the inspiration!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great list! I'd love to be able to alter clothes as easily as that, but I'm afraid that is not where my talent lies...
Glad you've had a good week!