Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lacking in a certain department

So I went home last night and looked at my wardrobe with all the thoughts about capsule wardrobes buzzing around my head. It became clear quite quickly that I have a lot of clothes that go with one think and nothing else. I was initially puzzled by this as it’s something I’ve always tried to avoid. When Dear Heart and I used to spend Saturdays roaming the shops together our conversation would go something like this:

Dear Heart: You should get that outfit over there. It would look really good on you.
Me (thrilled that he thinks something would look good on me and craving approval in an unhealthy manner): It’s really cool. I’m going to try it on.

I exit to changing rooms and reappear some minutes later.

Dear Heart: How did you get on?
Me: It looked great but none of it will go with anything else.
Dear Heart (gazing in direction of local hostelry): So? Just buy it.
Me: good idea. I’ll go to the till now. Hey I think I'll get these random items from the sale rail too. Look how cheap they are.

Additionally I have a lot of things that are vintage or homemade. If I’m making it myself, particularly from fabric I already have I am far less fussy over what goes with it. I seem to have lots of tops and far fewer bottoms. My clothes are mainly green and black with a few splashes of white, blue and red.

So rather than doing what any self respecting wardrobe would suggest (which would be to look for wear the gaps and acquire new items to fill them) I intend to use this lack to force me to explore further into my wardrobe and discover new (daring?) combinations.

Today, for example, I am wearing a long floaty black cotton skirt, long black boots, fishnet tights (largely hidden by boots and skirt), a black slip dress with tiny flowers printed on it and a green cardigan.

I would never normally of considered teaming these. I’ve had the slip dress for ages and used to live in it in my early 20s. It’s probably too short for me to get away with now, even with thick tights but it looks very slim as a long top.

I do rather like the thought of wearing out everything in my wardrobe and then moving to a palette of black, green and white (Nubby Twiglet has been inspiring me - I want to pack like her but think green not red).

No comments: