Monday, August 10, 2009

No place like home

I seem to have been all over the place this summer. The nature of my work means that summer always sees me touring the far flung corners of the county I live and work in. This year I also seem to have done quite a bit of going further a field to visit family and friends, celebrate birthdays and just catch up. Even when I haven’t been travelling that far from home I seem to have been staying out long beyond my usual bedtime. Dear Heart and I don’t tend to take ‘holidays’ and the last five summers have been dedicated to house renovation, so such a lot of ‘play’ seems odd.

My summer so far:
Dancing in Leamington Spa and Nottingham, climbing Glastonbury Tor and wander round Abbey, 90th birthday party, 18th birthday party, Bloggers meet up, meet up with Dear Heart’s friend from Xbox Live, visits to numerous pubs and bars, midnight bowling, cocktails and cupcakes party, live jam night, lots of BBQs, farewell to house party.

I’m really beginning to appreciate the joys home and of having a routine. The routine bit makes me think about Autumn. I have always enjoyed the ‘return to school’ atmosphere in September. A chance to shape up after the madness of summer. A better time of year for making changes and fresh starts than January. I fear that I am wishing my life away by anticipating the nip of cold in the air in August.

I’m going to work at appreciating summer while it’s still here and really enjoy waking up in my own bed in my own house. I’ll also make more of an effort to keep up and stay in touch the people I’ve been to visit or been out with. Organise some visits for later in the year. Life should be about balance, not contrast. Everything in moderation.

No comments: