Monday, August 17, 2009

How to be happy

A bit of my Saturday is normally taken up with reading the Guardian and I always start with the Weekend magazine (unless Dear Heart gets to it first). I really enjoyed the pieces this weekend about happiness.

The basic things seemed to be: you can’t be happy all the time, help people, engage in activities that you really enjoy, be grateful, embrace the new and novel, build relationships, accept that you don’t know what will make you happy and finally invest in experiences, not things.

I can see a lot of these things really coming out in blogs I read. The one I’m uncertain about is putting money and resources into experience not things. Bloggers often write about new purchases or things they want to buy. Does the whole process of choosing an item and purchasing it count as an ‘experience’?

Anyway do have a read of the various pieces all of which are linked to in this introduction to the What makes you happy debate.

No comments: