Monday, November 03, 2008

Getting to grips with random thoughts and plots

I wondered if doing NanoWriMo would have any impact on my desire to blog. Well the urge is there. The issue is focusing on anything for long enough to blog about. My head is awash with random thoughts about where my novel will go next.

I’m doing fine so far adding plenty of characters and incidents that might act as a vital pivot in the plot later on. The only snag being that I don’t have any plot right now. I’d intended to write something fairly realistic but find ideas about aliens, ley lines and Elvis reincarnated running around my head. I suppose this is the point of writing the story down. I won’t know how it turns out until I’ve written it. If I knew how it was going to turn out would I bother writing it? My enjoyment of Jasper Fforde’s work is clearly having an influence. Fiction is not real so anything can happen. Come to think of it, I was quite impressed by the ideas of Witkiewicz when I was at university. Maybe the absurd is the way forward…

I did make some attempts to clear the decks for the month so that I could really focus. Hence:

•I’ve planning most of my Christmas shopping. The wonderful stuff I ordered from Etsy arrived. I really wanted to rave about it here but some of my family read this and I don’t want to give anything away! I just need to visit a bookshop now.
•My study is tidy with all the excess of my fabric stash packed away.
•I’ve made a list of things I can easily make for lunch using items from the freezer or pantry. This is not going to be a great month for trying new recipes.

Dear Heart has signed up as well so I foresee a month of us sitting either side of the dining room table, laptops open typing frantically!

No comments: