Thursday, September 14, 2006

A whirl of activity

I can't believe nearly a month has gone by since my last post. The wedding is now less then 10 days away and it seems as if I am coming to the end of some of the tasks I needed to undertake for it.

So, the hen night is out of the way (it was a lovely day/evening - I'll try and remember to post about it soon). The flower girls dresses (and darling little capes) are complete (I just hope they fit OK).

However, I still need to:
Buy a wedding present
Make the tiniest of alterations to one flower girls dress
Dye my hair
Finish writing my chief bridesmaid speech

Additionally I have some of my favourite relatives from Canada staying with me for the three days prior to the wedding. I haven't seen them for some years and am a little nervous about my hostess abilities. Food is proving to be the thing that worries me most. I live in a small charming town so there's lots of historic atmosphere and rolling countryside for them to enjoy.

But what to feed them? Dearly beloved and I are eating an increasingly health diet. I make a lot of food from scratch and the closest we come to eating a ready meal is using pre-made pasta sauce. I had a look around my pantry and it's got lots of dry ingredients, seasoning and a few cans but not very much else.

I'm not even sure what to buy. I refuse to rush out and buy meat and cheese. Perhaps some tubs of dip in the fridge and lots of toast will fill the gap?

I'm also in a bit of quandary about where to take them for a lunch. We had planned on a dinner the Thursday before the wedding with me, dearly beloved, my sister and her intended and my parents.

But the intended needs one last night drinking with his mates (and is pleasingly sensible enough not to want to do it the night before the wedding). So the Thursday lunch time has been selected as I am taking them shopping in the nearest large town. But where to take them? Would they be happy to visit a Wetherspoons or Edwards (the sort of place that I normally have lunch with friends and family, even thought the Wetherspoons certainly isn't the most salubrious of joints)? Or to a genuine old pub? Friends have suggested 2 and I visited one on Tuesday. The food was excellent (as was the company).

I've even emailed my Dad who is still on his diet and asked which would fit in best with his diet (thankfully most place have an online menu these days). No reply as of yet...

So dear readers, forgive my absence and give me your suggestions regarding the important issue of food.

No comments: