Monday, June 25, 2007

Visiting my past

My house is currently looking extremely cluttered. This is not my fault. Honestly.

My Grandfather died a few weeks ago. This mean that the contents of his house (which have been in storage for some months) had to be dealt with. Additionally my parent’s are moving house after 35 years. It would appear that they kept all of my childhood toys (the place was groaning with care bears, my little ponies, sweet secrets and more) I also seem to have gotten in on the hoarding thing myself. They uncovered boxes in their loft that I had packed between my first and second year at university.

The end result is that a large number of boxes and some pieces of furniture have arrived at my house for sorting. It’s been interesting sorting through them. I had several scrapbooks and folders devoted to Bros. Additionally, I also collected information on Jason Donovan, Tommy Page and Twin Peaks. Clearly, My vocation should have been a role in a press cuttings agency.

Having so much extra stuff to deal has made me consider clutter that I was already hoarding. Some of it is stuff that I packed away in January (but somehow no longer want). Much of it consists of items given to me as gifts that I feel morally obliged to hang onto.

Today I took a stash of old earrings into work and was thrilled when people picked out some of my old favourites to keep. It’s so nice to see something that you once loved but no longer use gain a fresh lease of life.

Much is going to a charity shops but I will try some items on ebay. I wonder if there is a market a signed Jason Donovan 12”? Or a Bros Christmas box?

It’s been fun revisiting my past but I’ll be glad when it’s taken care of so that I can get on with the future.

P.S. Anyone interested in a wardrobe or a dressing table?

No comments: