Monday, April 30, 2007

Leafy greens

I went to the Vitality Show at the end of March. I was delighted to find a stand selling laptop lunch boxes. I resisted the urge to purchase one (Dear Heart would faint if I added any more containers to my fantastic plastic drawer). However, I did buy the Vegan Lunchbox book. It is every bit as good as expected and I’ve made a number of the recipes, most notably Veggie Wellington. I didn’t think it was available anywhere in the UK so this was really good to find it.

I’ve been really working on the eating seasonally thing and have also been to trying to buy from outlets other than supermarkets. I love the covered market near where I work. Recently I’ve been purchasing Spinach, Watercress (so divine in a sandwich for breakfast) and Kale. Buying what is in season is giving new value to my cookbook collection as I try to find the best to way to cook vegetables that I’ve never really tried before. I think my tastes are changing as well.

I find it hard to believe that I’ve never eaten Kale before. I tried out Emira’s speedy gourmet Kale and Tofu delight (picture below), from Dolce Vegan and was so impressed. I had to resist not eating the whole pan at once instead of packing it up for lunch. Dear Heart said it looked so good I had to take a picture (although he doesn't seem keen on eating it).

I really want to try Jennifer’s recipe for Asian Spinach but, keep getting distracted by the delights of mixing spinach with green lentils. I've also made watercress pesto (so easy, so quick and so delicious).

I’m looking forward to the first tomatoes of the season but quite frankly am very happy with spinach, kale and watercress for the time being.

No comments: