Thursday, April 12, 2007

Serendipity

I think I recently experienced serendipity. I was visiting Bury St Edmunds. One my last visit there I attempted to find the town centre without following directions. IT was interesting but I think I walked a long way out of my way. On this occasion I decided to follow the directions the first of which was to cross the road at the railway bridge. Alas the traffic was very heavy, but in the distance I could see a crossing point! Grumbling slightly I headed towards it and was rewarded when I had to pass the site of St Saviours Hospital as a result.

The remaining ruins were amazing. I also liked that the site had been planted with rosemary (for remembrance?). Have a look here and you can find out more and see some pictures http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/St-Saviours-Hospital.cfm

It really made my morning to discover such a fascinating site on my way to somewhere else. This is definitely one of the benefits of public transport. You get to see things that you miss if you are in a car going straight from A to B.

I was even more thrilled when I got to the town centre to find the ruins of Bury Abbey. I spent a big chunk of childhood holidays wandering around ruined castles and loving every minute. Hence this was right up my street! This site has some marvellous pictures of the bits of ruins that are still standing. http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/buryabbey.html

I liked it so much I went back at lunch time for a further wander!

In a similar vein was recently asked for directions to The Flitch Way as past of it runs near where I live. Well despite living here for 5 years I’ve never gotten around to exploring it. Having given directions I felt I simply had to check they were correct. Dear Heart and I got the bikes out on Sunday and had a look. It was simply amazing. So close to the town, but so quiet and hidden away. It was like discovering a secret valley. I think that once the Moonwalk is out of the way I’ll be visiting this a lot more.

No comments: