Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Losing my appetite?

A big part of my summer wardrobe are my linen skirts. They are long, slim and are elegant yet comfortable. I have them in black, pale beige and khaki. They are ideal for work and play. I've recently purchased a sand coloured jacket to go with them on chillier or more formal summer days.

However, I've had them for years. the beige and the black came from Racing Green when they still had shops and a website (possibly c. 2000?). The khaki was s lightly more recent purchase (i.e. 2003).

However the black and the beige are both wearing thin from repeated wear and really were due for repalcement sometime soon. As a result I've been wearing the khaki a lot (the colour was my fav anyway). Yesterday I arrived home to discover it has a rip in the back. The fabric seems to have just worn away. Leaving aside the embarrassment of walking around with my knickers on show I am now faced with having to replace all three.

My pink linen skirt is still doing OK, but it's only knee length.

I'd like to just make new versions of all the skirts but with dresses to make for my sweet sister's wedding, and some other sewing queuing for the autum, that's not really an option. Maybe I could do one (if I can find the fabric) but I need the skirts now!

I should be thrilled at the prospect of having to buy new clothes. How often do we have to buy clothes for the genuine reason that they have actually been worn until they feel apart? However I don't seem to have an appetite to do so. I suppose I'll go to Primark, look on the boden website and browse in the sales but I'm not really excited about doing so.

Has my appetite for consumer goods been altered? Perhaps I should put off buying the skirts for a while and see if any other part of my wardrobe fills the gap in the interim?

No comments: