Thursday, August 28, 2008

Everything except temptation

Oscar Wilde said a number of witty things about temptation. I’m quite fond of the one that goes something along the lines of ‘the only way to resist temptation is to give in to it’.

I have been hankering after a pair of cowboy boots. No matter that I tried on a pair several years back and they looked dreadful. I keep thinking how fabulous they would look. The whole thing would probably have gone away had I not found these Emily Strange ones at Cloggs.

The only things holding me back were (a) I’m not supposed to be buying anything new, (b) am I too old to be wearing Emily Strange? And (c) Are black and red boots really my bag?

Then while on my travels around over the summer period I’ve found myself with time to kill while waiting for a bus on several occasions. Hence I discovered that both Claire’s Accessories and New Look had cowboy boots. I felt the temptation grow stronger. I could buy a pair of boots on the spot. All my clothes would look amazingly cool.

So I gave into temptation and slipped into a pair…

And they looked awful. Clearly such boots do nothing for slim ankles and ‘developed’ calves. So my craving dried up in an instant and I resolved more firmly to purchase from the lovely Bourgeois Boheme in future.

Imagine if all things could be resolved so easily? What would we find to do all day?

No comments: