Friday, November 09, 2007

Tempeh

I love tempeh. However, it's quite difficult to buy (generally only independent health food shops stock it) and then it needs to go into the freezer (which means trips to purchase it need careful planning and cool bags). Hence I was delighted when Dear Heart suggested that I should consider making my own.

The only snag seems to be purchasing the culture. The closest place I've found it for sale is Belgium! However, I've signed up for the yahoo Tempeh group so maybe they will be able to direct me to a UK source.

Apparently Tempeh used to be widely available until the growth of the vegetarian foods market which saw a much greater variety in a wider range of locations. Thinking back I used to buy Tempeh 'bacon' at University, only I didn't know it was tempeh I just called it 'the bacon stuff with grains in it'. It was actually much nicer than the stuff that is just about everywhere now. You know the stuff I mean - it turns into cardboard in the microwave!

I'm still wondering what's going on at my local Holland and Barrett. Their chiller cabinet is empty most of the time. I'm eating less tofu than I have for years because they simply don't have any in stock most of the time.

This weekend I'm going to have a crack at making some cookies from The everyday Vegan. I've also purchased some rye flour and I'm planning on using that with my sourdough starter. I've got a new leek and potato soup recipes to try (Dear Heart has revealed it's the chunks he doesn't like in soup and that practically any flavour would be OK if it was blended). I've begun work on the Christmas present bags so I am also looking forward to a few hours of sewing.

Have a splendid weekend and enjoy the nip of winter in the air.

No comments: