Monday, February 26, 2007

I resisted!

I've always liked things in shops that have been marked down from their full price. When Racing Green still existed I filled my wardrobe with cut price garments from their website. I linger around the reduced shelves in Boots picking up hair dye in odd colours (although they all look much the same once on my hair). I always look at the reduced produce section in supermarkets.

Yesterday I popped out to the Co-op to buy a loaf of bread. It was the only thing we needed. When I go there I discovered lots of marked down things. Happily the bread was reduced, but so were lots of other goodies. I was about to go and get a basket so that I could indulge in this bargains when I questioned if I really needed some blueberries from Peru or Strawberries (in February!) from Chile.

I'd done the usual round of food shopping on Friday. I'd planned my menus for the week and purchased the necessary ingredients. I'd even been to the market to buy fruit and vegetables in brown paper bags. Did I really need to buy lots more food in plastic wrappings?

I left the store several minutes later having bought just the loaf of bread required. A lesson learnt. Just because you can buy it doesn't mean you should.

No comments: