Monday, July 10, 2006

Just how far can (and should) one go?

Blog writing is very much like diary writing in that one wants to document day-to-day life. How else can one remember the small successes and failures of life? I keep a paper diary where I record my daily doings, my thoughts and am currently using to set myself monthly targets. It's also an excellent place to store things like programmes and menus. Then when I look back in times still to come I can experience once again the atmosphere, colours and tastes. Some times it's a good place to let rip if I'm angry or upset about something. It's a good way of sharing without having to confide my petty jealousies to another person.

Maybe they'll be read when I'm not longer here. I like to imagine that they'll provide a wonderful resource for historian's of the future.

However the blog writing differs in that it is designed to be read now. Not at some distant point in the future. Hence how much should be shared?

Would it be OK to saythat I was anxious at the weekend as a result of a family situation? This might cause family members who read this to think that I was referring to them. And complaints about my work could be problematic. You are never as anonymous as you think you are.

So dear readers, I will save my anguish for my paper diary (some things are best kept private) and remember that what I post here is for anyone to read. In any case I'm certain that other people's misery is boring - you've much rather hear good, uplifting things about my small triumphs.

And so I'll leave you there for the time being. I'm off to pack my latest round of parcels.

No comments: