Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Seasonal foods and cabbage

Today is going to be one of my vegan days. I've been vegetarian for about 18 years but have been exploring veganism in the last year or so. It's become really clear that we live in a society obssessed with consuming animal products.

I also like to eat seasonally. This is most fun in summer when you can get a variety of vegetables actually grown in the UK. For most of the year though it means getting to like carrots, cauliflower, leeks and cabbage.

Annoyingly often things that are in season in the UK are imported from elsewhere. For example, I had real problems finding Butternut squash this winter. I know I could go to a farm shop but I don't drive (for reasons of environmentalism, economy and because I am incapable of passing a driving test). Dearly beloved could drive me, but vegatables aren't really his can of Stella (although I'm working on that). We are low on veg this week as I got the shoppping at the Co-op and they didn't have much UK stuff (bit surprised at that).

So tonight I need to do something inventive and delicious with cababge that doesn't involve dairy. I sometimes do cabbage boiled with brown rice and that's good but goes best with something salty like braised tofu.

I like the idea of something with soya mince and wholemeal pasta (seems odd to be craving comfort food when it's actually warm outside).

Any suggestions dear readers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum